Pre-Wedding Journaling - The Day is TOMORROW!!


I cannot believe the day is (almost) here - how did we get here so fast??

Dress Drama
So, my beautiful dress came - and it did NOT look anything like the photo!! Well, so be fair, it actually did look very close, it just was a bit wonky proportionately (it had to be, from the measurements I gave them, so mostly my fault) and she had added these ugly fake pearls along the bust line for God knows what reason.

When I tried it on, it was a bit heartbreaking - mostly because it just didn't look or feel right, as it hadn't been altered for me yet. I basically just felt like a giant, chiffon blimp. It. Was. Awful! Thankfully I have an amazing seamstress who got right down to work and began pinning and altering right away, so I began to feel better about it.

After a few tweaks and 2 fittings, it was MUCH better, and I actually ended up adding a few details from each of the dress options I showed you earlier to create one beautiful, unique, perfect dress. We had to be a bit creative to get it as form-fitting and flattering as I wanted, as I was looking for a hard A/V shape for my bust/belly to show off  my 30 week bump rather than just look wide.  At the last minute (yesterday) my seamstress quickly tried puckering the middle of the bust, and the definition was just perfect - then I had the idea to "steal" the broach off of one of the bridesmaid's dresses to accent the pucker, and it was PERFECT!! Everything just fell into place.

No Cupcake Stand
I finally decided on a plan for the cake, which was to do a small (8") round for us to cut, and about 80 cupcakes to fill the lower tiers of a cake stand. All I needed was the stand, which I ended up finding a lovely one someone was willing to let us borrow for cheap, so I send my fiance off on a 2 hour drive to pick it up...



Only to (duh) realize the darn thing wouldn't fit in the car he drove out there!! They spent over an hour trying every which way to make it fit, only to have to give up and come home empty handed. Not only was it very large (over 5ft across on the bottom tier), but it was heavy too, so there was no way to ship it to us and the gas it would take to take a second trip out with a bigger vehicle just wouldn't be worth it, so I needed a new plan.

So, at the last minute, I changed the layout a bit and decided to find some creates to rest on their side and place cupcakes in/on top of, and a traditional white cake stand for our round to cut. Hopefully it all looks good tomorrow!!

Garter Troubles
This one is 100% my fault. I left the task of finding the perfect garter(s) too long, and though I asked my maid of honour to find it/them, she didn't have enough time to run around looking. The only one we found was nothing like I wanted (pure white, lace, rustic, with fabric flowers), yet it seemed to be the only option.

... Until I found someone to make the PERFECT set (one to throw, one to keep), and for less than the local one! The only catch? It would have to be shipped from Vancouver area (6 hour drive), and there was no guarantee it would make it here on time. So I desperately posted that I needed someone local to make this set for me, at any cost!!

It turns out a semi-local business made them, and not only that - the was in the same 2-hour-away town my fiance was on his way to that night for that fated cupcake stand fail. Luckily, he was able to get the garters, so it wasn't a totally wasted trip, and I was able to get the perfect garters in time, for a good price. Talk about destiny!

Nail Meltdown
I had my nails done at my bachelorette party (which I definitely have to blog about later), but it was 2 weeks ago so they really didn't hold up that well - especially with all the DIY stuff I have been working on this past week, they were basically shot.

Well I figured our makeup lady would have time to touch them up - turns out not, nor could the studio doing our hair. So I had to go on a mad dash to find someone who could do them, literally today.

Finally, I decided on a quick and cheap little Vietnamese place in the mall, just to get a basic shellac manicure (not a gel set like my last ones), and I rush in just before the wedding rehearsal to get it done. While he is working on my hands, I was very grateful he didn't look up or try to talk to me at all, because out of no where I just started silently crying!

I think it was just a mix of stress, exhaustion and pregnant hormones, but I began to feel so bad for spending this $25 to fix my nails, much less how much we spent on the wedding in total. I felt sorry for making our parents help with the things they did, and felt so guilty that I took this time to focus on the wedding rather than our coming baby. As I was thinking all of this, she was slowly rolling around in my belly, and it was comforting to know she was there with me, through all of this.

I dried my eyes and moved on with the day, but I think it's pretty funny that THAT was the moment I chose to break down - right in the middle of getting my nails done at the mall! Thankfully no one noticed.

Feelings 
Now, what are my feelings, the day before my wedding?

Mostly, exhaustion. We were busy all day, from running around picking things up, to the rehearsal, to some set up up at the venue, and we just got home now - past midnight (but I'll set this post date to the 12th so I know it was the day before the wedding). My fiance is staying up at the site so as not to see me before the wedding, and I have our toddler with me, and he is constantly wanting to nurse.

I keep going over my vows in my head, I just know they are way longer than his and I hope it's not awkward. There are so many things I wish I could show you guys (the ring bearer box, where I'll actually keep my garter and our vows as a keepsake/memory box, the decor), but I don't have pictures yet - I'll have to wait to get the professional photos after the fact.

I, like my fiance, am nervous for the wedding but sure about the marriage - really, the way we live is just like a married couple, the only difference is a piece of paper and our rings. In a way, it's a bit surreal to think I am going to be a bride, a wife, but it also just feels so natural too, like this was always the plan.

I hope things go well with our hair/make up/getting dressed tomorrow. I wonder how my fiance is doing up there, just with his buddies... We hate to sleep apart, even on nights he goes out with the boys he will hitchhike/walk to be with me if he has to. It's so odd to sleep alone, I'm glad I have our son to cuddle with all night, even though he insisted on laying RIGHT on top of me, no matter how deep of a sleep he is before I move him he always wakes up to climb back on. And the cat keeps coming to cuddle too, if she leaves he cries for her. I have a feeling this is going to be a long night with very little sleep - of course the one night I really need to be well rested!!

That's all for now, I really do need to sleep.
~ The (Very Close to Being) Married Doula

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

28 Weeks - My Birth Plan

14 Weeks - Comparison Photos, Belly at a Bridal Show, New Video & Midwife Appointment!

First Trimester Collage! (12w5d)